Thursday, September 3, 2009

I got my chilly, grey, September day...

I woke up to a fierce thunderstorm at about seven o'clock, this morning.

I have been craving Pakastani food so much, it's one of my comfort foods. Growing up one of my dearest friends was Pakastani and I spent almost all my time at her house. Her family became my family and I love them all so much. It's been years since I have spent quality time over at their house but I keep in touch and crave Mama Farzana's food all the time. Since it was rainy and I was all cozied up I thought why not attempt the impossible? I went out and acquired all sorts of ingredients. One of my favorite dishes other than samosas, pakora, and buryani is this keema pilau dish. It turned out really well and here's how I did it...

First:
-1 cup basmati rice
-2 cups of water
-1/2 teaspoon of oil
-1/2 teaspoon of salt
-Pinch of black pepper

Rinse the rice and drain, add oil & rice to to a sauce pot, stir around rice for a minute or two and then add the water. On medium heat allow the water to boil and then turn down to a low heat and cover the pot. Check it in about 15-20 minutes and it should be cooked! Set aside once it is done and keep it covered.


Second:
-1/2 cup of brown lentils (masoor)
-1 1/2 cups of water

Rinse the lentils and drain, add to a sauce pot. Add the water and allow to boil, then reduce the heat and cover the pot with a lid. Check them in about 25-30 minutes, they should be tender. These will need to be cooked for part three.


Third:
-1/3 yellow onion (finely chopped)
-2 cloves of garlic (minced)
-About 1/2 lb. of ground chuck
-1 teaspoon of salt
-2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
-1 small can of tomato paste (you will use about 2/3rds of the can)
-About 2 cups of water (+ or -)
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
-1 box of Shan: Bombay Biryani mix (you will use half of the packet)

*You should be able to find the Shan Mix at almost any International market or Indian specialty food store.

Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic. Add the butter to a pot, then add the onion and garlic and allow them to begin the caramelize, add the meat and salt. Cook the meat completely, then add the tomato paste and stir. Add in the garam masala and 1/2 of the Shan mix & stir. Add in the water & cooked lentils, stir. You may need more water, based on your desired consistency. Allow this to simmer, occasionally stirring. If your would like a thicker consistency bring to a boil & reduce.


Fourth:
Put some rice in a bowl and add your keema pilau to the top according to your liking and enjoy with a nice glass of water and some naan bread. This dish does have a nice kick to it, so be forewarned. Enjoy!


Until next time...
Cozy up with comfort foods & sweet things!

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, recipe for Naan bread! Do eet! I had some at India Palace by my apartment.

    ReplyDelete